The Advanced Keelboat class is the next step for sailors who are looking to dig deeper into the mechanics of sailing and move on to faster and more powerful sailing platforms. This course is taught on our J80 and J22 fleet, boats that are known for higher performance, speed and grace, by our top instructors. If you are working on a Green Flag rating, preparing for a J80 checkout sail, or interested in digger deeper into the science behind sail controls, Advanced Keelboat can help you work toward your goals, just let your instructor know what you’d like to focus on. Our 3:1 student to instructor ratio ensures that we’ll be able to tailor the course to the interests of you and your fellow students.
Advanced Keelboat Curriculum includes but is not limited to
- The finer points of boat handling: how to use crew weight to your advantage, reduce rudder drag, roll tack and jibe, etc.
- Advanced sail trim: how and when to use the vang, outhaul, cunningham, traveler, backstay, and other sail controls to determine the shape and maximize the performance of your sails.
- A review of the basics and more advanced techniques, including docking, anchoring, crew overboard recovery, and heavy weather sailing.
- Learn to Sail (or similar experience)
- Yellow flag certification
Advanced Keelboat is a two-day course that typically runs over one weekend. Select a start date from the menu to see which two days the course will run.