- 6 hours – a single weekend day or two weekday evenings
- Practical, on-the-water guide to the outer harbor
- Visual navigation practice
- Great prep for green flag test
Getting around Boston can be incredibly challenging if you don’t know where you’re going.
This course will prepare students looking to pass their green flag written test.
This class is hosted in 2 formats:
- A single weekend day from 10 am to 4 pm
- Two weekday evenings from 5 pm to 8 pm
- Using a compass and/or hand bearing compass to navigate
- Using local charts to identify areas that are great for sailing and areas that are best to avoid. You can buy NOAA charts or view them online for free.
- Using navigational tools such as parallel rules, dividers, and a wristwatch
- Constructing a proper float plan
- How to estimate how long it will take you to reach your destination
- Using tide charts and local weather forecasts to safely determine your destination and route
- Best practices for what to check before departing and after arriving back at the dock
Recommended Next Steps:
Cancellation and Refund Policy: Please note that in an effort to keep our courses and memberships as affordable as possible, we must limit changes in schedule and membership. Because staff and instructors are hired and scheduled in advance, Courageous memberships, lessons, and/or other program fees are not refundable for any reason, including cancellation due to weather, or the participant’s inability to utilize the membership, lesson, or program. That said, we do understand that sometimes life gets in the way of sailing plans and, if necessary, we will work with you to reschedule for a later date. We cannot reschedule lessons within two weeks of their start date unless we are able to fill the spot with another student. All rescheduled lessons purchased before September 1 must be completed before the end of the season for which they were purchased; if purchased between September 1 and October 31, rescheduled lessons must be completed before June 30 of the following year.