Learn to Sail Complete- Parts 1 & 2
- 4-day, 24-hour course
- US Sailing certification available
- Full Learn to Sail curriculum: progress to beginner to skipper in 24 hours
Learn to Sail in two Weekends
If your goal is to become a competent, confident sailor with a solid understanding of the basics, this is the learn to sail course for you! At the end of the two-weekend class, most students are ready or almost ready to skipper one of our Rhodes 19 keelboats on their own. Your instructor, who will always be in the boat with you, will guide you and up to two fellow students through the sailing fundamentals, combining short chalk talks and extensive on-the-water coaching to help you develop and reinforce new skills. You’ll learn all you need to know to rig and derig your boat, leave and return to the dock safely, adjust your sails and rudder to make the boat go where you want it to go, understand the basics of how sailing works, and tie some important knots (always a good way to impress your non-sailing friends!).
By the end of this hands-on, learn to sail course, most students are ready for a Red or Yellow Flag skipper rating, which means they can safely skipper a small keelboat in light to moderate conditions without an instructor.
Students may also choose to take the US Sailing Basic Keelboat exam following their course.
Course Structures in 2022 and possible changes for Covid-19
Keeping participants and instructors safe at all times while on and off the water is always a top priority for Courageous. We adhere to state and federal guidelines, as well as guidance issued on outdoor recreation and amateur sports. As you know, these policies on social distancing, mask wearing, and group sizes are ever-shifting. Because of this, we will remain flexible with our course structure for 2022 and make changes if and when necessary. As of November 2021, our intended course structure for 2022 will be as follows:
- Three-on-One Instruction: In our traditional format, three students and one instructor sail together, allowing for plenty of personalized attention and teamwork. LTS 1 + 2 would be held over the course of 12 hours each, or 24 hours total. Learn to Sail 1 would consist of 2 six-hour, back-to-back weekend days; Learn to Sail 2 would follow the same format.
Best practices when scheduling your course:
Learn to Sail Complete is comprised of our Learn to Sail Part 1 and Learn to Sail Part 2 curriculum. When registering for your Learn to Sail Complete course we ask that you choose the weekend you would like to start your course (Learn to Sail 1) and the weekend you would like to complete your course (Learn to Sail 2). We encourage students to choose consecutive weekends but understand that summer scheduling is tough and this may not work for everyone. When booking your course, the Learn to Sail Part 1 sessions should fall BEFORE Learn to Sail Part 2 sessions. Weekends should ideally be booked close together when they cannot be booked consecutively. Please call us with any questions.
Practical skills covered in the course
- How to use weather forecasts to evaluate sailing conditions
- How to board a sailboat, do an equipment safety check, and prepare to sail
- How to rig, derig, and secure the boat to the dock
- How to safely leave and return to the dock
- How to maneuver the boat: starting, stopping, controlling speed, steering, tacking, jibing, getting out of irons, etc.
- How to handle control lines and trim sails
- How to depower sails if the wind picks up
- How to recover a crew overboard
- How to tie the knots you’ll need
- How to read a nautical chart of Boston Harbor (intro level)
- How to apply the right of way rules
- How to recognize and navigate around aids to navigation
- Sailing terminology
- Basic sailing theory
- Points of sail
- Right of way rules
Recommended Next Steps
- Group Practice
- Private Lessons
- Meet the J80
- Mid-Fleet Performance 1
- Mid-Fleet Performance 2
- Mid-Fleet Cruising Membership
- Boston Harbor Navigation
Get your US Sailing Certification
You can see the whole US Sailing Keelboat Curriculum Here:
US Sailing Curriculum
Want a Discount?
Save $395 when you purchase the Learn to Sail class and a Core Fleet membership.
- Click here to purchase your Learn to Sail + Membership Combo
Cancellation and Refund Policy: Please note that in an effort to keep our courses and memberships as affordable as possible, we must limit changes in schedule and membership. Because staff and instructors are hired and scheduled in advance, Courageous memberships, lessons, and/or other program fees are not refundable for any reason, including cancellation due to weather, or the participant’s inability to utilize the membership, lesson, or program. That said, we do understand that sometimes life gets in the way of sailing plans and, if necessary, we will work with you to reschedule for a later date. We cannot reschedule lessons within two weeks of their start date unless we are able to fill the spot with another student. All rescheduled lessons purchased before September 1 must be completed before the end of the season for which they were purchased; if purchased between September 1 and October 31, rescheduled lessons must be completed before June 30 of the following year.