Meet the J80
You enjoy the Rhodes 19 but you can’t help but wonder what something a little bigger, a little sleeker, would feel like. You’re not ready to commit to a full course or membership but wouldn’t mind learning more about what that next level looks like. If any of the above applies to you (or maybe you feel like you just want to be sure you are ready for the next step), then Meet the J80 is the perfect class for you! Almost every Friday we will host this opportunity to go out and get to know what our J80s are all about. All you need to do is let the frontdesk (firstname.lastname@example.org) know you’re coming. We fill the 5 first spots each week on a first come first serve basis; act fast so you don’t miss out! Who doesn’t want to join us for a leisurely Friday evening cruise?
Meet the J80 curriculum includes:
- An orientation to J80 basics: rigging, sail-handling, tacking/jibing, docking, crew overboard recovery, reefing, winch safety, outboard engine overview, etc.
- Applying your existing sailing skills and knowledge to a vessel that is bigger, faster, and has a longer glide zone than a Rhodes 19.
- An introduction to crew roles and how to teach crew to assist a skipper.
- Learn to Sail (or similar experience)
- Yellow Flag certification
Scheduling courses in 2021 and possible changes for Covid-19
Keeping participants and instructors safe at all times while on and off the water is always a top priority for Courageous. We adhere to state and federal guidelines, as well as guidance issued on outdoor recreation and amateur sports. As you know, these policies on social distancing, mask wearing, and group sizes are ever-shifting. Because of this, we are remaining flexible with our course structure for 2021. Below are a few formats that will be in consideration as we get closer to the season opening in April.
- One on One Private Lessons- Scheduled in 2 hour blocks, our instructors will introduce you to our J80s through a short on land introduction to rigging and and hour and half sail around Boston Harbor.
- Traditional drop-in format- Almost every Friday we will host an opportunity to go out and get to know what our J80s are all about. All you need to do is let the Front Desk (email@example.com) know you’re coming. We will fill the 5 first spots each week on a first come first serve basis; act fast so you don’t miss out! Who doesn’t want to join us for a leisurely Friday evening cruise?
As we get closer to opening our season, we will reach out to students who have purchased courses with details about course structure, along with options for dates and times. Courses will be available on the weekends and weekdays; registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
Meet the J80 occurs on most Friday evenings beginning at 5:30pm and ending at 8:30pm for a total of 3 class hours. We fill our courses on a first come first serve basis but will host them as often as every Friday based on demand. Please contact the front desk to reserve your spot. This class runs with a minimum of 3 participants and maximum of 5.
Recommended next steps:
Things to note:
Meet the J80 is a 3-hour introductory clinic and is not designed to replace our Performance classes, in which we encourage sailors to enroll to build more advanced skills. A J80 membership is not required to participate, but membership and a separately scheduled J80 checkout would be necessary to gain access to the J80 fleet outside of class hours.
Cancellation and Refund Policy: Please note that in an effort to keep our courses and memberships as affordable as possible, we must limit changes in schedule and membership. Because staff and instructors are hired and scheduled in advance, Courageous memberships, lessons, and/or other program fees are not refundable for any reason, including cancellation due to weather, or the participant’s inability to utilize the membership, lesson, or program. That said, we do understand that sometimes life gets in the way of sailing plans and, if necessary, we will work with you to reschedule for a later date. We cannot reschedule lessons within two weeks of their start date unless we are able to fill the spot with another student. All rescheduled lessons purchased before September 1 must be completed before the end of the season for which they were purchased; if purchased between September 1 and October 31, rescheduled lessons must be completed before June 30 of the following year.