Summer Youth Program lottery registration is open March 2nd through 16th.
Every year Courageous serves 1,000 youth from the Boston area. We are working hard to expand our capacity and have been able to provide substantially more hours of sailing per child in recent years. Still, we receive more applications than we are able to fulfill.
Steps To Lead
Registration is via a lottery to provide equal access to all families, regardless of their ability to pay.
The lottery will open for registration from March 2-16, 2020.
Swim Sail Science
Registration is limited to students identified as being eligible for the program from Harvard-Kent, the Eliot, Orchard Gardens, and Warren Prescott. For more information, please contact Ashton, the Director of Youth Programs and Outreach.
|Swim Sail Science||Charlestown||July 6- Aug 7|
|Step 1: Sailing 101||Charlestown||July 21-24 (no program July 20)|
|Step 1: Sailing 101||Charlestown||July 27-31|
|Step 2: Beginner Sailing||Charlestown||June 29 - July 17 (no program July 3)|
|Step 2: Beginner Sailing||Charlestown||July 21 - Aug 7 (no program July 20)|
|Step 3: Intermediate Sailing||Charlestown||June 29 - July 17 (no program July 3)|
|Step 3: Intermediate Sailing||Charlestown||July 21 - Aug 7 (no program July 20)|
|Step 4: Beginner Dinghy Sailing||Charlestown||June 29 - July 17 (no program July 3)|
|Step 4: Beginner Dinghy Sailing||Charlestown||July 21 - Aug 7 (no program July 20)|
|Step 5: Advanced Sailing||Charlestown||June 29 - July 17 (no program July 3)|
|Step 5: Advanced Sailing||Charlestown||July 21 - Aug 7 (no program July 20)|
|Step 6: Instructor-in-Training||Charlestown||June 22 - Aug 10 (no July 3)|
|JP1: Sailing 101||Jamaica Pond||June 29- July 2 (no program July 3)|
|JP1: Sailing 101||Jamaica Pond||July 6-10|
|JP1: Sailing 101||Jamaica Pond||July 14-17 (no program July 13)|
|JP1: Sailing 101||Jamaica Pond||July 20-24|
|JP1: Sailing 101||Jamaica Pond||July 27-31|
|JP1: Sailing 101||Jamaica Pond||August 3-7|
|JP2: Beginner/Intermediate Sailing||Jamaica Pond||June 29-July 10 (no program July 3)|
|JP2: Beginner/Intermediate Sailing||Jamaica Pond||July 14-July 24 (no program July 13)|
|JP2: Beginner/Intermediate Sailing||Jamaica Pond||July 27-August 7|
|UMB2: Beginner/Intermediate Sailing||UMass Boston||August 11-21|
We are hoping to have a decision before our lottery registration opens on March 2nd. Currently, we are planning to open our Summer Youth Program registration for our Jamaica Pond site - whether or not we have a final decision by that point. However, until we receive a decision, we will not be able to confirm course enrollments.
Registration is lottery-based and there is no advantage to submitting a registration form early. We have moved away from a first-come-first-served system in an effort to create a more equitable system. All lottery registration forms received will be processed in the following order of priority: (1) returning students, (2) siblings of returning students, and finally (3) new students who have no siblings in the program.
- Lottery Registration Opens: March 2, 2020
- Lottery Registration Closes: March 16, 2020
- Confirmation Letters mailed/emailed in early April 2020
Rules and Restrictions
- All Courageous Steps To Lead students must provide proof of their ability to swim 75 yards and tread water for 90 seconds. All students in Step 3 and above will be subjected to an onsite "swim check" by Courageous instructors.
- Before registering for the lottery, please note the age and skill requirements for each Step. For returning students, please refer to the email sent out prior to registration with your child's recommended step.
- All students entering the lottery for Jamaica Pond classes must be Boston residents per order of the Boston Parks and Recreation Department. Courageous Sailing reserves the right to require proof of address.
- All students whose lottery registration forms have been processed will receive confirmation of their status, whether registered or wait-listed.
($0 class fees) are available to families on government assistance or with a household income of less than $70,000.
(~50% discount) are available to those with a household income between $70,000 and $140,000.
There is no separate scholarship application form - it is included in the lottery entry form. Please review the Summer Youth Sailing FAQ for additional information or email the Director of Youth Programs and Outreach with any questions.
|Class||Class Fee||Partial scholarship||Full scholarship|
|Step 1 (4-day)||$400||$200||$0|
|Step 1 (5-day)||$425||$225||$0|
2020 Course Fees and Payment
The amount of fees owed were sent to you with your registration confirmation. This amount reflects anticipated scholarships. You can pay this invoice online with a credit card via a personalized link included in your registration packet. To receive the link again, contact Ashton@courageoussailing.org. You can also pay by submitting a check (payable to “Courageous Sailing”) or by dropping off cash at Courageous Sailing.
A note on class fee increases in 2020: Courageous Sailing is committed to providing high-quality sailing programs to youth in the Boston area regardless of their ability to pay.
In the last few years, we’ve made major investments to grow our capacity – enabling a significant increase in available program spots. We’ve done this while improving program quality, keeping the majority of our classes three weeks in duration, and maintaining one of the lowest students to instructor ratios among Boston-area youth programs.
In order to help us continue to provide opportunities for all current students, and increase capacity to accept new students, over the next few years we will gradually increase class fees to better offset our real costs per student (currently $600 per week). We remain committed to providing sailing programs to youth regardless of ability to pay, which means:
- Scholarships continue to be readily available for all who qualify.
- We do not want this increase in class fees to be a barrier for any new or returning student. We are committed to working with every family to ensure that your children will be able to attend
- The registration and lottery process for admittance to the Courageous Sailing Summer youth programs is “Need-Blind.” This means that admission, in no respect, is based on ability to pay
By helping us to cover the true costs of programming, we will be able to direct more of our fundraising efforts to the following capacity-building priorities:
- Increasing class offerings program-wide
- Purchasing the dinghies we’ll need in the coming years to accommodate the growing number of advanced sailors
- Maintaining our current fleet and replacing aging boats
- Purchasing a fleet of boats for our burgeoning UMass Boston program
- Paying our instructors industry competitive rates
Ashton SmithDirector of Youth Programs and Outreach firstname.lastname@example.org