Performance Sailing 1
The J80 – known for its speed, grace and simplicity – was built for 3 things: leisurely cruising with friends, performance racing, and good old fashioned fun on the water. Our Performance Sailing clinics are designed to give sailors a taste of all three.
The first part of the Performance Sailing series is focused on advanced boat handling and sail trim topics, which are ideal for sailors looking to raise their skills and confidence to the next level. In addition to skill building, this clinic can be helpful for those working on a Green Flag rating or preparing for a J80 checkout sail.
Performance Sailing 1 curriculum includes:
- The finer points of boat handling: how to use crew weight to your advantage, reduce rudder drag, roll tack and jibe, etc.
- Advanced sail trim: how, when and why to use the vang, outhaul, cunningham, traveler, backstay, and other sail controls to control the shape and maximize the performance of your sails.
- A review of reefing, docking, and crew overboard recovery methods.
- Learn to Sail (or similar experience)
- Yellow flag certification
Performance Sailing 1 is a one-day clinic that typically runs over one Saturday from 10 AM to 4:30 PM with a 30 minute lunch break.
Recommended next steps:
Things to note:
Performance Sailing 1 is a 1-day, 6-hour clinic. It does not cover the use of a spinnaker, which is the focus of Performance Sailing 2. Though it may help to prepare for a J80 checkout, this clinic does not take the place of it; J80 members will need to schedule this separately. A J80 membership is not required to take this clinic but would be necessary to reserve and skipper a J80 outside of course hours.