Mid-Fleet Performance 1
- 2-day, 12-hour course on a J80
- Advanced sail trim and theory
- Refined boat handling
- Crew overboard and anchoring
Our Mid-Fleet Performance 1 course is the perfect next step for recent graduates of Learn to Sail or for sailors looking for what’s next. This course is taught on the J80 – known for its speed, grace, and simplicity. Our Performance Sailing courses are designed to give sailors a taste of all three and introduce students to a faster and racing oriented vessel.
Part 1 of Performance Sailing is focused on advanced boat handling and sail trim topics, which are ideal for sailors looking to raise their skills and confidence to the next level. In addition to skill-building, these courses can be helpful for those working on a Green Flag rating or preparing for a Mid-Fleet cruising checkout sail.
Skills and Concepts Covered
- How, when, and why to use the sail controls: boom vang, outhaul, cunningham, traveler, backstay
- Roles in a team aboard a racing boat
- A review of reefing, docking, and crew overboard recovery methods.
- Anchoring under power
- Learn to Sail (or similar experience)
- Yellow flag certification
3-to-1 Instruction: In our traditional format, 3 students and 1 instructor sail together, allowing for plenty of personalized attention and teamwork. Mid-Fleet Performance 1 is held over the course of 12 hours, consisting of 2 six-hour, back-to-back weekend days.
Recommended Next Steps
For information on our refund policy, click here.