Mid-fleet Performance Sailing 2
In the second part of the Performance Sailing series, we provide a 2-day, 12-hour, in-depth introduction to the spinnaker, along with more opportunity to practice the advanced boat handling and sail trim topics covered in Performance Sailing 1. Conditions permitting, we typically head to the outer harbor to practice hoists, take-downs, and jibes. We review and practice how all of the various roles on the boat work together to make maneuvers possible (and safe). We also cover our Harbor Navigation curriculum so sailors are ready to leave the safety of the inner harbor and explore the harbor islands while practicing their newfound boat handling skills.
Performance 2 curriculum includes:
- Review of J80 boat handling, sail trim and crew positions
- Review of docking and anchoring under power
- Rigging and packing an asymmetrical spinnaker
- Safely setting, flying, jibing, and dousing an asymmetrical spinnaker
- Boston Harbor navigation on the Pearson 26
Mid-fleet Performance 2 is a two-day clinic that runs on a Saturday and Sunday from 10:00AM – 4:30PM with a 30-minute lunch break.
Recommended next steps:
- Join us for a Wednesday night racing on the J80s starting in May
- Mid-Fleet Cruising Membership
Things to note:
We cannot guarantee participants a spinnaker endorsement on the J80 or a Green Flag navigation endorsement, which typically takes more practice than a single class can provide.