Free 20 minute sails
Want to learn how to sail? Thinking about joining Courageous? We invite prospective new sailing students and members to come down to the Charlestown Navy Yard and go for a free sail on Boston Harbor with one of our experienced skippers.
Enjoy light refreshments ashore and fabulous views of the city from the end of the pier or aboard a Rhodes 19 during your 20 minute sail! Reservations are strongly encouraged.
11 AM to 2 PM on Saturday April 22 and Sunday April 23.
CANCELLED FOR WEATHER:
We will be reaching out to all registered paricipants if we are able to organize a make-up event and posting updates here.
The April 22-23 Open Houses will be hosted at our temporary home on Pier 3
- This is not our usual Pier 4.
- Pier 3 address is: Charlestown Navy Yard, One Historical Park, Pier 3 Dock, Charlestown, MA 02129
- Parking suggestions remain the same: Street, Nautica Garage or Flagship wharf parking garage.
What should I bring or wear?
Even on warm days, it can get chilly quickly on the water. A windbreaker or fleece is always a good idea to have with you along with a bottle of water. Sunglasses and a hat are nice to have and you should definitely put on sunscreen before coming down. Wear comfortable sneakers with good support. Do not wear sandals or flip flops.
Will I get wet?
There is always a change that a little ocean spray might come your way, but for the most part, our boats stay dry.
I've seen boats tip over - do your boats tip over?
Sailboats naturally tip or "heel" over depending on how strong the wind is. The boats we will be sailing at Open House are keelboats, which means they have a large lead counterbalance below the water which helps them stay upright. In other words - they will tip, but they won't tip over.
Can I bring my dog?
Courageous is dog-friendly! We even have two dog life jackets so they can come on board with you. All dogs must be on a leash (we can't have them jump overboard!) and well trained.
Do I need my own life jacket?
Courageous has lots of life jackets in all adult and child sizes that you may borrow for your sail. If you have your own USCG approved life jacket, you are more than welcome to wear it.
Which location is Open House going to take place?
Open House will be at the temporary Courageous location on Pier 3 in the Charlestown Navy Yard.
How do I get there?
- Parking is available at the Nautica parking garage at 88 Constitution Road and the Flagship Wharf garage at 197 8th Street.
- The Charlestown Ferry from Long Wharf drops off at the base of our pier. Keep in mind that the last departure from Charlestown is 6:15 pm. Water taxis are also available on call and will pick up from the ferry dock (note: water taxis may not pick up or drop off passengers at our docks due to liability restrictions.)
- When arriving from the ferry: Exit the ferry and walk down the walking path towards the street (the anchor bar will be on your right). Take a left and another let to keep the water on your left side and walk down pier 3.
- If you take a taxi or a car share service, drop off should happen at the base of pier 3 near the parking area.
I really like sailing - how do I keep going?
We are so happy to hear it! Sailing is a wonderful sport you can enjoy at any level and for the rest of your life. The best way to learn the basics is with our learn to sail complete taught in the same boats we use for Open House. You'll learn all the fundamentals of sailing well enough to take a Rhodes 19 out on the harbor by yourself (or with friends!) You can also purchase a Learn to Sail + Membership package to save a lot of money and sail through the end of the 2022 season!
How is the event structured?
Guests are welcome to come and go as they please but are only guaranteed a sail if they sign-up before arrival. For walk-ins, we will get take down the name of your group when you arrive and get you out on the water as soon as possible. For reservations, we will work hard to stick to your scheduled time but ask for grace as sailing times vary based on conditions.
There will be light food and beverages available along with a few activities for the kiddos to keep them engaged while they wait. Our staff is on land and available to answer any questions you may have about our Youth and Adult programs, please look for our smiling faces and staff T-shirts.
Do I need any experience on the water or with sailboats?
No! This event is open to anyone who is interested in sailing, but no prior knowledge is required.
Can I bring my kids?
Yes, please bring the whole family! Sailing is a sport for all ages. The boats for Open House can accommodate up to 4 adults comfortably (or 2 adults, 3 kids), so if you have a larger group we will need to split between multiple boats. We have lifejackets for people of all sizes (infant-XXL)
Do I need to reserve a spot?
Yes, reservations are strongly encouraged.