Deadline #1: April 30
Confirm your family’s participation by completing the online Confirmation Form and paying your program balance. Confirmation Form links are personalized to each family. A link was included in the email sent April 1 with your family’s registration information. If you need it re-sent, contact Ashton at Ashton@courageoussailing.org.
The Confirmation Form includes:
- Courageous Medical and General Liability Waiver & Boston After School and Beyond City-Wide Measurement Project Waiver.
- Online credit card payment – Please note that you can choose to pay your balance when you submit your confirmation form, or choose to pay at a later date before April 30, 2019.
AttendenceIf your child cannot attend the session s/he is registered for, please notify Ashton immediately at Ashton@courageoussailing.org so that another child can be given the opportunity to sail.
Due to extremely high demand for this program, attendance is required at all classes.
If you received a scholarship, confirm your scholarship by providing Courageous Sailing with one or more of the following by April 30: Documents should be securely uploaded here.
- 2018 Federal Income Tax Form 1040 (first page only, social security numbers blacked out)
- Proof of being a government assistance beneficiary (ex. public housing, etc.)
- Optional: Attach a separate page detailing any other information that may be helpful in determining financial need and extenuating circumstances.
Scholarship materials will be reviewed solely by the Director of Youth Programs and Outreach, the Executive Director and/or their administrative assistants. After review, these sensitive documents will be destroyed immediately. For security purposes please black out Social Security numbers on all documents you upload to Courageous.
Deadline #2: June 15
Print, have a lifeguard sign off on and submit the Proof of Swimming Form by June 15. Upload the completed swim form with the Confirmation Form. As proof of your child’s or children’s swimming ability, the following documents qualify:
- YMCA: Certificate of completion for Fish Level and/or Level 5 or above
- Red Cross: Certificate of Completion for Level V or above
- Boy/Girl Scouts: Swimming or Lifesaving Merit Badge
- Courageous Sailing Swim Form
Download the Proof of Swimming FormBlank proof of swimming forms may be downloaded here: Blank Swim Form
Complete one form per student. If you have already submitted this form for a previous program or season at Courageous Sailing, we have it on file and there is no need to submit another.
If you know that your child is not able to swim at least 25 yards (one pool lap) and stay afloat for at least 90 seconds without floatation or other assistance, please call us immediately at 857-452-1763 or 617-242-3821.
Courageous Sailing is committed to providing high quality summer sailing programs to children of Greater Boston regardless of ability to pay. Scholarships are readily available for all who qualify. Extenuating circumstances are always taken into consideration should a family choose to share them with our staff.
- Full scholarships ($0 class fees) are available to families on government assistance or with a household income of < $70,000.
- Partial scholarships (~50% discount) are available to those with a household income between $70,000 and $140,000.
- All siblings are 10% off.
Please Note: If your income puts you in a fee bracket that you can’t afford, we will work with you so that your children will be able to attend.
2019 Course Fees and Payment
The amount of fees owed were sent to you with your registration confirmation. This amount reflects anticipated scholarships. Payment is due by April 30, 2019. You can pay this invoice online with a credit card via a personalized link included in your registration packet. To receive the link again, contact Ashton@courageoussailing.org. You can also pay by submitting a check (payable to “Courageous Sailing”) or by dropping off cash at Courageous Sailing.
**New this year, a full refund will only be given to families that withdraw before April 30th. After that date or without notification of withdrawal, no refund will be issued except for in extenuating circumstances.**
A note on class fee increases in 2019: Courageous Sailing is committed to providing high-quality sailing programs to youth in the Boston area regardless of their ability to pay.
In the last few years, we’ve made major investments to grow our capacity – enabling a significant increase in available program spots. We’ve done this while improving program quality, keeping the majority of our classes three weeks in duration, and maintaining one of the lowest students to instructor ratios among Boston-area youth programs.
In order to help us continue to provide opportunities for all current students, and increase capacity to accept new students, we have gradually been increasing class fees to better offset our real costs per student (currently $600 per week). We remain committed to providing sailing programs to youth regardless of ability to pay, which means:
- Scholarships continue to be readily available for all who qualify.
- We do not want this increase in class fees to be a barrier for any new or returning student. We are committed to working with every family to ensure that your children will be able to attend.
- The registration and lottery process for admittance to the Courageous Sailing Summer youth programs is “Need-Blind.” This means that admission, in no respect, is based on ability to pay.
By helping us to cover the true costs of programming, we will be able to direct more of our fundraising efforts to the following capacity-building priorities:
- Increasing class offerings program-wide
- Purchasing the dinghies we’ll need in the coming years to accommodate the growing number of advanced sailors
- Maintaining our current fleet and replacing aging boats
- Purchasing a fleet of boats for our burgeoning UMass Boston program
- Paying our instructors industry competitive rates
Please don’t hesitate to contact Ashton, Director of Youth Programs and Outreach, at 857-452-1763 or Ashton@courageoussailing.org with any questions, concerns, or if the fee bracket you fall in is a barrier to participation.